Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Riding the Roller Coaster

Some days emotions can be like a roller coaster and some days I just don’t want to ride.  I’m not even sure why my emotions are all over the place tonight but it makes me feel guilty to be sad when everything is going so well.

I was told that you can be happy and still be sad sometimes and it’s OK. You can’t be happy and depressed but you can be happy and sad. But why doesn’t it feel OK?

I think we learn as children it’s not OK to be sad and cry. How many times did we hear, “dry it up” or “I will give you something to cry about”. How many times were we unable to stop and we were smacked for expressing our feelings. I think some parents teach children that the only OK emotions to have are the happy ones.


I’m in the time of life when I think my fluctuating hormones contribute to this roller coaster ride, when you think of it it’s like being a teenager again, without the pimples. And just like being a teenager the sad emotions disappear as quickly as they came and you hop off the ride saying “WHEW” it’s over but knowing one day you will ride it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment